Monday, March 19, 2012

Blanket Scene

As we drank our cocoa I noticed Atticus looking at me, first with curiosity, then with sternness. "I thought I told you and Jem to stay put," he said.
"Why, we did.  We stayed-"
"Then whose blanket is that?"
"Blanket?"
'Yes ma'am, blanket.  It isn't ours."
I looked down and found myself clutching a brown woolen blanket I was wearing around my shoulders, squaw-fashion.
"Atticus, I don't know, sir . . . I-"
. . .
Atticus said, "Whoa son, " so gently that I was greatly heartened. It was obvious the he had not followed a word Jem said, for all Atticus said was, "Your right. We'd better keep this and the blanket to ourselves. Someday, maybe, Scout can thank him for covering her up."
"Thank who?"  I asked.
"Boo Radley. You were so busy looking at the fire you didn't know it when he put the blanket around you."

I chose this scene to help represent the book because to the readers, it was one of the first signs that Boo Radley was a alive, and maybe not quite as mean and crazy as everyone says he is. Boo plays a huge part in the story of the town as well as the story of Jem and Scout's childhood.  His mystery and craziness drive the kids to doing some things that they will most likely remember the rest of their lives.  Also, after reading this scene, that was when I first started to consider that maybe it was Boo that sowed the pants, maybe it was him that filled the tree with gifts, and now, maybe it was him that gave Scout the blanket.  Another reason why I enjoy reading the excerpt from the book would he because it just proves that not everyone in town knows exactly as much as they think they do.  They think that they have all the dirt on everyone, when really, all they know are a bunch of silly stories and rumors.  People like Miss. Stephanie Crawford are really not quite as knowledgeable as they give themselves credit for.  Boo Radley isn't who everyone says he is.  And he is about ready to show it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment