Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Prediction Piece


Author's Note: (Second Paragraph) I think that this will happen because in the notebook the girl, Allie, says goodbye to her controlling husband and he gets angry.  I also think that this happens because in the beginning of the book it says that Richard dies while Francesca lives on and so I know that he dies sometime in his mid sixties/seventies.  I don't know if he gets hit by a car but I just made that up.

While reading the novel  The Bridges of Madison County  it occurred to me how similar it is to The Notebook by Nicolas Sparks. In the first few chapters of the book the author creates a scene where you have two elderly people, separated for some unknown reason,  and one is in love with the other while the other doesn't appear to care for the first person.  After those few chapters, almost the entire rest of the book is a flashback telling the story of the couple falling in love.  I cannot speak for any other similarities so far in the books because I am only on page 51. Either way, by knowing how The Notebook  ends, I think that in the end of this book the couple will rekindle somehow and then they will both die.

I'm sorry, I can't. I've been living this life for too long, it's not what I want to be, this isn't the person I dreamt of being. This has gone on for too long. I'm leaving.
The note ended there. Richard was furious. This was insane. She was his wife! This was the act of a twenty year old college girl, not his wife of thirty-five years! What would the neighbors think? With his wife sneaking off in the middle of the night and leaving a simple note that,  had he not trusted her as he did still, it might just seem that she had snuck off to see a lover! He didn't believe a word of it. Nor did he want to. The keys to the car begged him to grab them. He listened to their pleas and soon after he found himself standing at the small bridge that Francesca always came to think. A young looking couple lay sleeping on a thin blanket  and he averted his eyes, disgusted. After scanning the rest of the area Richard was not just mad. He was furious. She was his wife! She would listen to him. She would not leave him, and certainly she would not give him a bad reputation. The car motor turned over but didn't start. He twisted the key again. The engine refused to start. He swore under his breath and hopped out of the car. The door slammed shut behind him. It just fueled his anger. The gravel crunching under his feet became loud and annoying. His head was buzzing with fury, distracting him from the large gray Chevrolet pickup truck speeding up the road. He didn't hear the squealing of breaks. He didn't see the expression of utter horror on the drivers face. All he saw was a shining metal grill and then- nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment